Sunday, May 3, 2009

Nepal By Foot - Day 01

On 7 March 2009, I boarded the plane to a much fantasized country - the country with the world's highest mountain. For the next 8 days, I would walk the mountains by foot, ready to be awed by the sights before me.

From the Kathmandu capital, I took a tourist bus to the lakeside town of Pokhara where I met up with my trekking guide, Mr. Ang Dendi Sherpa. And from Pokhara (930m), we took a coach to Nayapul. This would be the starting point of my trek.


The route is 'well-trekked' and it was not long before we made a stop for lunch at a local hut. Lunch was a simple affair of Dhal Bhaat which literally translates to Lentil and Rice. This is the Nepalese national dish and soon enough, I would learn that one has to love Dhal Bhaat in order to love Nepal!

By early afternoon, we reached Tikedungha (1540m) and spent the rest of the day relaxing at the lodge. With the lovely hills spread out before me, I learnt to slow down my pace and take in the view.



There is a general lack of electricity in Nepal and as night fell, I had a romantic candlelit dinner.

No comments: