Chicken Rice, Chicken & Cabbage Soup
a whole chicken
(1) Buy the chicken a day before. Rub salt on both the inside and outside of the chicken. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it overnight.
(2) Dethaw the chicken. Pour boiling water over it before rinsing it with cold water.
(3) Cook another pot of hot salted water and just before it boils, add the chicken. Remember to flip the chicken while cooking.
(4) After about 20 minutes or when the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and chop it prior to serving. Garnish with parsley. Do not throw away the chicken stock in the pot as it will be used for cooking the rice and soup.
Method (Chicken Rice):
(1) To the washed rice, add the ginger slices, chicken stock (leftover stock after boiling the chicken) and salt.
(2) Then leave the rest to the reliable rice cooker.
Method (Cabbage Soup):
(1) To the remaining chicken stock, add button mushrooms and cabbage.
(2) Additional salt can be added for taste.
(+) Everything in this recipe goes right into the stomach...nothing goes to waste!
(+) The cabbage soup can even be used to cook noodles or the hot soup be simply poured onto cold rice!
(=) An easy recipe to hold on to the traditional Teochew culinary culture...