Thursday, February 7, 2008

First Day of The New Year (年初一)

On the first day of Chinese New Year, I thought that everywhere would be pretty much a ghost town with the majority of the Chinese shop owners closed for business for the next couple of days.

I was in fact enquiring around as to whether it is advisable to spend my evening at Chinatown and decided against it when I receive the "N0-Go" from both my parents and the taxi driver. So instead, I ventured to the Singapore River Ang Pow.

It's really an understatement to describe the entire scene as being crowded. People from all over the world seems to be there! There's sweaty ang mohs, Singaporean-Chinese, China-Chinese, groups of nicely dressed Malay families and even the India-Indians seem to decide to abandon Little India to join in the fun at the Singapore River!

Being the greedy me, I spent like 15mins looking at the gigantic God of Fortune, the various New Year decorations and all the fun fair rides before diving into the crowd crawling along the stretch of food stalls that seems to go on and on and on... :)

As it was a rather breezy evening and the crowd was not as packed as that at Chinatown, the long walk down the food stalls was still tolerable. I was able to snap some photos of the various food stalls without having someone bang into my camera or squashing me to pulps.


Along the way, I manage to pick up some popiah candies, takoyaki balls, otak and satay. So I was kind of full by the time I reached the end of the food stall.

Next I decided to treat myself to an $8 blackcurrant drink and a $10 sausage savoury plate which was essentially made up of two sausages cut into thin slices. *idiot* My brother would kill me for paying $5 for one bloody standard sized sausage which doesn't even come with the grilled buns.


But when the firework display went off at exactly 9.30pm, I knew instantly that the $18 was well spent! A spot on the restaurant's roof terrace, away from the crowd, with the gentle breeze blowing on my face and a magnificent view of the captivating skyline as well as the fireworks....it's definitely worth more than $18!!


I do hope this is an indication of the good year that awaits me....

No comments: