This is one of the tried and tested New York Cheesecake recipe:
15 digestive biscuits
900g cream cheese
300g white sugar
230g sour cream
* if sour cream is unavailable, replace with juice from 1 large lemon
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest * optional
15ml vanilla essence
30g all purpose flour
2 large honey mangoes
15g corn starch
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
2. Mix biscuits crumbs with melted butter and press onto bottom of springform pan.
3. Use a mixer to mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk.
4. Using a spatular, mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate.
5. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth.
6. Pour filling into prepared crust.
7. Baked in preheated oven for 1 hour.
8. Cool the cake on a rack and chill for 2-3 hours before serving.
9. Peel and dice the mangoes
10. Use 1 cup of mango, add water and puree using a blender. Bring the puree to a boil.
11. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add into boiling puree while stirring.
12. Cool the thickened puree and add in diced mangoes.
13. Spoon the mango topping onto the chilled cheesecake before serving.
1. Do not over mix/beat cheesecake filling to prevent introducing excessive air which will cause the cheesecake to crack during baking.
2. Baking the cheesecake in a water bath will prevent burning. Wrap the base of the springform pan with aluminium foil to prevent the water from seeping into the pan.
3. Do not be tempted to open the oven during baking to check. Ensure oven is well pre-heated and once the pan is placed into the oven, just leave it there for 1 hour without opening the door.
4. If time permits, cooling the cheesecake in the oven for about 2 hours after turning it off will also helping to prevent cracking.