Thursday, January 15, 2009

Teochew Cuisine!











With visitors from Penang and Chicago, I decided to bring everyone for Teochew food for dinner. I grew up eating Teochew home-cooked food made by my beloved Ah Mah and Mom and learnt to make a dish or two as I grew up as well. Maybe I'm bias but I truly think that Teochew has some of the best cuisine amongst the various diversely-tasting Chinese Cuisine from the respective provinces in China. Of course being in Singapore, we've the good fortunate of having literally all sorts of cuisines under our noses and I've had traveled to China a little bit in the recent years for work and had the chance to try out quite a variety of food from Shanghai, Beijing, Suzhou, Wenzhou, Sichuan, Zhejiang etc but never really quite find the food familiar to my taste buds despite the fact that they are all Chinese cuisines. Perhaps it's the taste of home-cooked food that made all the difference.
So today, the 6 of us went to Lee Kui (Ah Hoi) Restaurant at Mosque Street (of Chinatown) for a taste of the humble Teochew food. All in all, we had 7 dishes, including Cold Crab, Braised Duck, Teochew steamed Pomfret, Deep Fried Springroll platter, Oyster Egg Omelette, Stir-fried Asaparagus and of course my favorite Yam Paste with Pumpkin and Gingko Nuts dessert! The food was absolutely awesome, the ingredients were fresh and the the dishes were well-made! Two thumbs up and I would definitely recommend anyone with a craving for Teochew cuisine to check out this restuarant!

No comments: