For me, it would have to be the mouth-watering Nonya cuisines. :)
Ondeh Ondeh (番薯蛋)
50g sweet potatoes (50克 番薯)
200g glutinuous rice flour (200克 糯米粉)
2 pieces gula melaka (两块 椰糖)
2 tsp pandan essence/green colouring (两茶匙 绿色素)
1 bowl water (一碗 清水)
100g grated coconut without skin (100克 去皮椰丝)
(1) Cook the sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Once cooked, mash it.
(2) Melt the gula melaka slightly with your hand temperature and roll into small balls.
(3) Mix the mashed sweet potatoes with flour. Slowly incorporate water and the green colouring till a dough forms.
(4) Roll the dough into balls, flatten it with your palm and add in the gula melaka balls. Shape the dough again into a ball and ensure that the gula melaka does not leak on the outside.
(5) Add the ondeh ondeh balls to a pot of boiling water. Once cooked, the balls will float to the water surface. Drain the balls of water and roll them on a plate with the grated coconut.
- the gula melaka can be a bit sweet so if you do not have such a sweet tooth, you might want to cut down on the sugar