Friday, January 8, 2010

A Decade since the Millenium

2010, two years away from the supposedly "End of the World" - 2012. But seriously, who cares? I don't. If the world must end, it will end. Meanwhile, life goes on.

And with that, I continue to indulge in more good food in celebration of the New Year; hopefully, a better year to come.

Interestingly, it was only recently that I became aware of Austrians having the custom of eating steamboat as well! That was indeed a rather pleasant surprise, very much like what we practise during Chinese New Year in Singapore, however, on a smaller scale.

Instead of the typical large electric steamboat pot, a fondue pot warmed over a candle was used instead. Bite-sized chunks of meat were then lowered into the hot soup (traditionally, hot oil filled the pot...ooohhhh....I like traditions but I also appreciate the slight deviation in this case)on mini colour coded skewers. Now, isn't that a nice idea?

There was quite a selection of yummy sauces to dip the meat in. In addition, there were also appetisers ranging from pickled paprikas to mini corns, gherkins, beans and aspharagus to go along with the meat.
To load up on the carbohydrates, there's always the piping basket of warm baguettes to fall back on.

The desert for the evening was a nice orange cake shaped as a duck - a traditional Italian pastry. I could almost not find anymore space in my stomach for this delicious, lovely looking desert.

With a full tummy and armed with my "Glück bringen" pig, I am prepared to take my first stride into 2010. :)

No comments: