So obviously, I was the idiot who somehow still managed to mess it all up! The cake was very heavy and didn't raise much. The inside of the cake has this "kueh-like" texture. I would say it is still edible but other than the dog which was eyeing it, the rest of the family were only glad that it went straight to the rubbish bin.
200g plain flour
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
250g plain, full-fat yoghurt
3 large eggs
zest of 3 lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
125ml vegetable oil
(1) Preheat oven to 180degC. Grease and flour a 21.5 by 11cm loaf pan.
(2) Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl, add salt, set aside.
(3) To a large mixing bowl, add the yoghurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Whist together until smooth. Whisk in the flour mixture slowly.
(4) Pour in the oil and fold it into the mixture gently using a rubber spatula. The batter will curdle but just keep at it until the batter is thick and smooth.
(5) Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
(6) When the cake is done, stand it on a metal rack set over a foil-lined tray and let it cool in the loaf pan for 15 minutes. Using a blunt knife, loosen the cake gently from the sides of the pan. Remove cake from pan and place over the metail rack.
Makes 1 loaf cake which serves 8 to 10.