Green Tea Red Bean Jelly Mooncake
Ingredients (jelly egg yolks):
1/2 tbsp agar agar powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp instant jelly
2 tbsp evaporated milk
few drops of orange colouring
250g coconut milk
30g brown sugar
1 tsp agar agar powder
100g boiled red beans - mashed
few drops of pink colouring
Ingredients (mooncake skin):
500g thin coconut milk
8g agar agar powder
few pieces of pandan leaves
100ml thick coconut milk or evaporated milk
2 tsp green tea powder
100g fresh cream
(1) Boil the ingredients for the jelly egg yolk together in a pot
(2) Pour into small rounded ice cube moulds and let it set in the fridge
(3) For the filling, boil all the ingredients together and pour a small amount into cup moulds and let it semi-set.
(4) Put a piece of egg yolk agar-agar into the center of the semi-set filling and pour the remaining filling to cover the egg yolk.
(5) When set, remove from mould and set aside.
(6) For the mooncake skin ingredients, boil the thin coconut milk with sugar, pandan leaves and agar agar powder till sugar dissolves.
(7) Add in thick coconut milk , green tea powder and fresh cream.
(8) Pour some green tea jelly mixture into mooncake moulds and let it semi-set. Place the filling on top of the half set green tea agar-agar.
(9) Pour the balance green tea agar-agar on top of the filling till full
(10) Let it set and chill in the fridge before serving
- If exactly 100g of mashed red bean is used, the filling would remain soft even after setting. However, this creates a different texture from the skin and egg yolk agar-agar