Lemon Yoghurt Cake
2 large eggs
200g caster sugar
zest from 1 lemon, finely grated
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
280g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
250ml low fat greek yoghurt
icing sugar for dusting (optional)
(1) Whisk egg and sugar until pale, thick and creamy (3-4 minutes).
(2) Add lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat for a further 1 minute.
(3) In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold into the above mixture.
(4) Mix in yoghurt and then oil.
(5) Pour batter into a lined and greased 21-26cm cake tin. Bake at 180°C in a preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. (I coated the sides of the cake tin with breadcrumbs for easier removal after baking)
(6) Leave the cake in the tin to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool further.
(7) Dust with icing sugar (optional)
(+) Despite the method of whisking the entire egg to form the batter, the recipe yielded a rather light but moist cake.
(=) For those who wants to bake a cake without the hassle of separately whisking the egg yolks and whites, this is the recipe for you! :)