Monday, October 15, 2007

Food chopping performance by Nanta

Who says that there is no free things in Singapore? I was lucky to be at Square2 this afternoon because it happened to be the last day of performance by the Nanta group from Korea. And it's free. :)

I was quite fascinated to see the stage setup with four drums and four tables with chopping boards on it. On each chopping board, there's cabbages, carrots, zucchinis and onions. So I was already guessing that the performers would be hacking the knives on the chop boards to create a kind of catchy rhythms. And I was right.

There's five performers in total. The first part of the performance has four performers chopping recklessly at the vegetables on their respective chop boards and the sound it creates is very much like drums which immediately livens the atmosphere in the entire shopping complex. Shreds of vegetables were flying in all directions and a couple hit me - which is actually kind of fun.

The second part of the performance has all the five performers drumming away to some strong music playing in the background. I can't really describe how I feel but it's as if my heart pounds along with every beat of the drum. So what if they had vegetables everywhere on the stage floor? This is the least of their worries as each performers seems totally engrossed in their performance.

I was so into the first part of the performance and only managed to take a short video of the second part of their performance.

For those who are visiting Korea, maybe you can seek out this Nanta performance which is being promoted on the Korea Tourism website. I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed. :)

No comments: