Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pandan Chiffon Cake - Take Two

I found another recipe for Pandan Chiffon Cake from a fellow food blogger and the photos posted by her look extremely successful to me. So I decided that this would be THE recipe to use with the mini sponge cake pans. :) I had been dying to bake something in it since the day I lay my eyes on them. Talk about love at first sight...

I was rather greedy and poured too much cake mixture into the mini pans. During baking, I couldn't resist the urge to peep into the oven to see the cake raising in the cute mini pans. And naturally, the cake rose above the mini cake pans and I was not able to invert it after removing them from the oven. So I just let it "roll" about on the kitchen top. Surprisingly, the cake did not collapse much after cooling and it was also very easy to remove it from the mini pans. I think I'm so in love with these mini pans now. I'll definitely be 'adopting' more of these the next time I'm at Daiso. :)


Pandan Chiffon Cake


Ingredients:

75g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
75ml coconut cream or milk
4 egg yolks i used 5 egg whites because it's such a waste to throw one away
5 egg whites
100g castor sugar
1+1/2 tbs corn oil i used vegetable oil instead
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp pandan paste

Method:
(1) Cream the egg yolks and 70g sugar until creamy and thick.

(2) Add in sifted flour and baking powder, vanilla essence, coconut cream/milk, corn oil, pandan paste and salt into the egg yolk mixture. Mix well and set aside.

(3) In a clean dry bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and remainder 30g sugar till stiff peak forms.

(4) Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture thoroughly with a spatula.

(5) Pour into the chiffon pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 45 mins. (I baked for 35 mins only since it's in a much smaller chiffon pan)

(6) When the cake is baked, invert it immediately to cool down for another 10 mins. Use a sharp knife to loosen the side and bottom of the pan to release the cake. Leave it on the wire rack to cool down further.


Verdict:
(+) The size of the mini pandan chiffon cake is just right for one person's serving.

(=) As compared to my first attempt, this recipe yielded a cake which is better tasting than the previous one.
(=) The cake has not "sunken" as much as my first attempt. Maybe it's because I did not use the oven's "Fan" mode during baking this time round...?
(=) This version is lighter than the previous version.

No comments: