Saturday, September 29, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies

For the past few days, I had been mulling over how to best optimise the large quantities of mini chocolate chips in my fridge. And today, I finally decided to go back to one of the basic baking recipes -chocolate chip cookies. It has been some time since I last baked these cookies.

I found a recipe online and I tweaked it a little. Without realising, it can in fact be considered a vegan cookie if not for the addition of chocolate chips. Is chocolate chips considered vegetarian? I got the following extract from my Google search:

"Vegan baking requires particular attention to reading labels. Many chocolate chip brands contain dairy ingredients. There are several varieties of chocolate chips on the market that do not contain dairy, and natural food stores also stock chocolate chips made from grain-based sweeteners."

Nevertheless, it's easy to replace the chocolate chips by dried raisins or nuts to make vegan cookies.

I managed to 'mass produce' sufficient quantities for giveaways at Sausage Co. :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour I added slightly more based on the consistency of the batter
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar I added slightly less
1/3 cup granulated sugar I added slightly less
1/2 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips
almond nuts, chopped

Method:
(1) Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

(2) Mix canola oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, 3tbs of water and vanilla essence well.

(3) Stir in flour mixture.

(4) Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

(5) Drop batter in one tablespoon portions about 2" apart on baking sheet.

(6) Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 10 - 15 mins or until golden brown.


Verdict:
(+) It is super fast to make the batter.

(-) Cookies can be too hard for some.

(=) If you like the cookies from Famous Amos, then you'll like this cookie too! The 'hardness' of the cookie is comparable.

No comments: