Monday, September 17, 2007

Steamed Broccoli With Mushrooms & Egg White Sauce

I made this vegetable dish to complement the steamed fish and rice for dinner tonight:


Steamed Broccoli with Mushrooms & Egg White Sauce


Ingredients:

Dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water and trimmed
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs chinese wine (Hua Tiao)
1 tbs light soy sauce
300ml chicken stock (made from a stock cube) I used only half a stock cube
salt to taste I did not add salt
2 tsp corn flour mixed into 2 tsp water
2 egg whites
broccoli, cut into florets

Method:
(1) Steam the broccoli.

(2) Combine mushrooms, oyster sauce, chinese wine and light soy sauce with chicken stock in a wok. Bring to boil, then simmer for ~10 mins. There is too much sauce so I had to scoop half a bowl away. As the oyster sauce I used is alread salty, I added in some plain water to lessen the salty taste.

(3) Season with salt to taste and thicken sauce with cornflour mixture. I did not add salt as the mixture is already quite salty.

(4) Turn off fire and slowly stir in beaten egg whites. It should be sufficient to add only one egg white.

(5) Arrange the steamed broccoli on a plate and pour mushroom sauce over the vegetables.

(6) Serve immediately.


Verdict:
(+) Relatively simple dish with minimal ingredients required

(-) The sauce is too salty for my taste. Had to add plain water to dilute the sauce.

(=) A fast dish to prepare. Will be making this dish if I'm opting for a quick, homemade meal.


No comments: