Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mid-Autumn Festival Dinner

Today is the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival. From where I'm sitting with my laptop, the full moon is already highly perched on the cloudless sky.

I can still recall many years ago when I was half convinced that there was indeed a fairy, an old man and a hare living on the moon. Back then, I would gobble up my dinner quickly before joining the other children who were already parading their paper lanterns along the corridor.

The best part for the little boys would be to light up the candles in the lanterns and sometimes, by 'accident', the lantern would catch fire much to the shrills of the little girls. On the other hand, the girls would be precariously trying to balance and hold the lanterns to avoid it going up in flames.

This would be the one day when we were allowed to play with candles and fire other than the ocassional blackouts in the housing blocks. And very often, some parents would try to limit the number of matchsticks 'allocated' to their children so that whenever they had run out of matchsticks, it would also mean that it's time for the children to head back home.

Those were my idyllic childhood days...

Tonight, I would rather take my time to enjoy the spread my mother has prepared for the occasion.


No comments: