Stained Glass Window Cookies
2/3 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
40 fruit flavoured hard candies
(1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease cookie sheets.
(2) In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla extract and eggs.
(3) In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
(4) Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
(5) On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough 1/4" thick. Cut into 1/4" to 1/2" wide strips and on a well buttered baking sheet, form into window frames. (I used cookie cutters instead)
(6) Keeping candy colours separated, place candy in plastic bags and crush with a meat millet. Place crushed candies inside window frames.
(7) Bake for 6 mins or until candy is just melted. Cool on baking sheet for 5 mins, until candy is hard. Carefully lift cookies off baking sheet with spatula.
(+) Relatively easy to follow through the recipe
(-) Cookies turned out to be rather soft; not as crispy as expected unless the dough is rolled very thin before cutting to the desired shapes
(=) It is very interesting to see the candies bubbling away in the oven. When fresh out from the oven, the candies will settle but there'll still be some bubbles in the candy layer. However upon cooling for 10-15 mins, the bubbles disappears!
(=) I'll rather prefer the usual chocolate cookies, the candy layer in the middle of the cookie is much too sweet for my preference.